Introduction to Sports Nutrition Workshop on February 11
Published on 01/17/2014
Join us for a complimentary workshop on Tuesday, February 11 at 6:30PM at our Tempe store - "Introduction to Sports Nutrition" presented by competitive marathon runners Carrie Weldy and Charlie Leight!
Carrie, a Certified Health Coach, will provide tips on proper nutrition for athletes and dispel some of the myths surrounding carbohydrates, fat, protein, supplements, and more! More information about Carrie's services can be found at www.nourishedbodyandsoul.com
Charlie will share some of his delicious TRE' Bars, locally made energy food, and tell his story of why he makes them.
Please RSVP using the form at the bottom of this page. The event is free and open to everyone.
Here is an outline of what will be covered:
1. What is Sports Nutrition?
- What, when, where, how to eat as an active individual.
- Nourishing the body to meet the demands of exercise/sport and in order to perform at one’s best.
- Why nutrition is so important. Does it really matter?
- New research, conflicting information, many types of “Sports Fuel”, supplements…can be complicated and confusing…
2. Nutrition for runners (especially endurance).
- Most runners like “numbers”: PRs, workout splits, miles per week, tempo pace, HR, etc…
- Let’s keep nutrition simple: Eat REAL, WHOLE food!
3. What to eat on a daily basis.
- Macronutrients: Carbohydrates, Fat, Protein
- Micronutrients: Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants/Phytonutrients
4. Carbohydrates; they are my friends, should be yours too!
- Base of diet: 60-75%.
- Think beyond pasta and bread!
- Quality, quality, quality (aka vegetables & fruit, beans, whole grains)
5. Fats…no fear!
- 15-25% of diet.
- Quality, quality, quality (especially Omega-3 Fatty Acids)
6. Protein, more isn’t necessarily better…
- 10-15% (maybe 20).
- Quality, quality, quality (think beyond animal products).
7. Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants/Phytonutrients.
- Eat a variety of real, whole food to get what the body needs.
- What about supplements?
8. Food as medicine?
- Anti-inflammatory foods.
- Immunity boosters.
- Drink of choice throughout the day.
- Stay consistently hydrated.
10. Research, so much information, what everyone else is doing…
- Find out what works for YOU!
- Listen to YOUR body!
- Posted on